Cell Phone Policy 2023-24
Dear Eagle Families,
Over the course of the past two years, we have realized the negative impact that cell phone use at school has on student achievement, attentiveness, safety and mental health. We also realize that the adolescent brain craves structure and consistency. As a result, we are implementing a policy to restrict the use of cell phones and personal electronic devices to non-instructional time only. An “electronic device” is defined as ear buds, smartwatches, handheld video games, tablets/ipads, or any other electronic device other than a school issued Chromebook.
We look forward to working with you to give all students the greatest opportunity to be successful at school and beyond our walls. We are happy to talk with you about our rationale and any other questions or concerns you may have. Please reach out to any of us via phone or email. It’s going to be a great year!
Bethany Harris, Moses Price, Lawrence Reeves and Matt Rudy
THS Admin Team
What can students expect?
- Learning environments (classrooms) free from distractions associated with cell phone use.
- Opportunities to focus and learn content taught by experts (their teachers) in their subject areas.
- Consistent expectations from all adult staff members.
- Consistent expectations from all THS staff.
- Students not meeting the expectations set in the policy may be addressed by any adult staff member and they are expected to comply with the directions given to them by that staff member.
- Phones or other electronic devices will be surrendered by the student, labeled and secured for the remainder of the school day.
What can families expect?
- Students will not be permitted to return texts/phone calls during any instructional period, including Homebase and Seminar.
- Messages and family emergencies may be called in to the main office and students will be notified accordingly.
- Students who violate the cell phone/personal electronic device policy will be asked to surrender their device(s) for the remainder of the school day.
- Cell phones and personal electronic devices that are surrendered will be labeled and secured in the AP or Main Office.
- THS administration will apply discipline according to the policy as it is written in the Student Code of Conduct.
What can teachers expect?
- Teaching and learning environments free from distractions caused by cell phones and their use.
- Students will have their school issued Chromebook, fully charged and in class with them each day.
- Consistent expectations regarding the school-wide policy from all staff members.
- Consistent follow through with discipline from THS administrators.
- Support of families if students need to be addressed regarding violations of the policy.